We take a holistic approach to family health when it comes to improving birth outcomes in Kansas City. There is a continuum of care that extends far beyond the clinical setting. Healthy Start is the backbone of Nurture KC’s mission. KCHSI deploys community health workers covering 14 ZIP codes in Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS with the highest rates of infant mortality, providing one on one support to pregnant women, dads and infants up to 18 months old. We have community health workers in our office as well as at KC CARE Health Center, Swope Health Central, and Swope Health Wyandotte.
Nurture KC hosts the only urban Healthy Start program in Missouri and is 1 of 100 Healthy Start Initiatives in the nation.
• Assist families in securing health insurance and help them find a doctor
• Provide referral and resource information for you and the father of baby
• Connect to nutrition counseling, breastfeeding support, and food assistance
• Provide education and counseling about alcohol and drug abuse during and after pregnancy
• Connect to housing assistance
• Equip with parenting education
April 1, 2019: This project is supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under grant number H49MC01449 titled Healthy Start Initiative for grant amount $950,000 with 0% financed with non-governmental sources. This information or content and conclusions are those of the author(s) and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by HRSA, HHS or the U.S. Government.